First of all, why are dogs afraid of the water? The reasons can be:
It could be a new experience for them as when their paws or fur touch the water, it feels foreign to them. It could also be a traumatic experience for them especially when dog owners force their dogs to bathe and pour water on them without considering their fear or distress. Uncomfortable experiences such as hot water scalding your dog or even getting too much water into their ears can also cause your dog to hate baths. Some dogs may not enjoy baths at all no matter how comfy you try to make it for them.
Here are some tips on how to make a less stressful experience for your dog during bath time:
- Ensure your dog is bathing in lukewarm water where it's not too cold or not too hot.
- Make sure that the bath area is not slippery as dogs will not feel safe if they are not in control of their body and this tends to make them even more traumatised during bath time. You can also add a non-slip silicone mat to make them feel safer.
- Try to turn off the running water during bath time as the sound will make them feel more anxious
- Avoid strongly scented shampoo and try to use a gentle and mild-smelling shampoo.
- The feeling of water might make them feel more anxious, so you can actually start off with a wet washcloth or towel and eventually slowly move to use a spray as they get comfier.
- Use rewards and treats to encourage them when you place them in the bath area. Or for even taking a bath.
- You can also get them to bring their favourite toy to encourage them for bath time.
We have another solution for you to encourage your dog for bath time!
A stress-free way to keep your pet’s coat clean and fresh!
No water – No fuss – Quick and easy
Ideal for dogs, cats, rabbits, and other pets who become anxious or stressed when in the bath or shower.
The pH-balanced formula contains the Pet Remedy natural calming blend of valerian absolute with vetiver, basil, and clary sage essential oils. This unique and patented blend is fast acting and clinically proven to help calm all mammals in stressful situations.
Naturally derived cleansing and detangling agents in all the right proportions, create a luxurious foam that can simply be brushed through a dry coat to lift dirt and oils without the need for water. To obtain best results, you can finish with Pet Remedy Leave in Coat Shine & Conditioner.
Once you pet gets comfortable with The Rinse-free shampoo, you may slowly progress to Pet Remedy 3 in 1 Grooming kit. This kit consists of:
1. De-stress and Calming Pre-wash
Fast-acting pet remedy calming ingredients will help settle your pet.
Effective coconut-derived ingredients to lift dirt and oils to start the cleansing process.
Spray generously and massage into the coat to break down and loosen the build-up of dirt and oils.
2. De-stress and Calming Shampoo
Naturally derived cleansing agents in all the right proportions for a deep cleaning, yet gentle wash.
The pet remedy calming formula helps maintain a stress-free experience.
Wet the coat with warm water. Use as much shampoo as required to create a lather and massage well to cleanse thoroughly. Use a warm, wet cloth around the face and ears. Rinse thoroughly until water runs clear and repeat process as necessary before drying.
3. Leave-in Conditioner & Coat Shine
A perfect finishing touch to leave your pet with a soft, shiny coat.
Enhanced with Rosehip, Bramble, and Moss extracts plus pro-vitamin B5 to help condition and nourish the skin and coat.
A tiny inclusion of pet remedy helps to maintain the calming effect.
After washing, towel dry the coat and spray liberally with conditioner. Work into the coat with fingers, comb or brush as required.
Yes it may be difficult to encourage but it will be a worthwhile journey of helping your companion love bath times!